BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, January 22, 2010

Mail Boxes

When I was growing up, my family always had a giant mail box. Why? Because when my dad was growing up, his family always had a giant mailbox. People ordered a lot of stuff by catalog then and needed a large receptacle for deliveries. Times changed and people started doing their shopping in stores. Mail boxes evolved. People no longer needed giant mail boxes. But we always had one. I don't remember ever ordering anything from a catalog, but we certainly had plenty of room for a sizable delivery should one arrive!

When I went to college, I checked my dorm mail box every day for something. Anything! I didn't care what. I would be glad to get junk mail. I had a couple magazine subscriptions. I would sometimes receive a letter from a cousin in a distant state. Occasionally my mom would send me a card (from 16 miles away) with a $20 bill inside. By this time, though, email was becoming fairly common and I didn't send or receive a lot of letters. Getting mail was special.

Now that I'm a grown up, my mail box is constantly full of bills and junk mail, which I am no longer excited to receive. I live in town, which means I walk down the block to the pod of mail boxes shared by my neighborhood. I like that. Some people dislike having to walk down the street to get their mail, but I enjoy not having to mow around the mail box. Well, I enjoy not having my lawn guy have to mow around the mail box.

What do mail boxes and lame blogs have in common? Check back on Monday for a big surprise! You won't want to miss this.

2 comments:

Carina said...

Ooh, ooh! I love surprises!

Oh, and we get packages all the time now because we do so much internet shopping. Maybe the big mailbox will come back.

We like sharing our mailbox with you, too!

Jacky {The Sweetest Petunia} said...

I looove getting mail. It makes my day SO much brighter! My {future} sister-in-law and I write snail mail back and forth, and it's so much fun. :)