BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, February 19, 2010

Curtains

I have been inspired by Big Mama and The Nester to make new drapes for my living room, dining room, and kitchen. I recently did some minor remodeling in my kitchen (replaced the outdated wallpaper and popcorn ceiling with understated texture and neutral paint) and had to remove my curtains to do so.

Since I had to take the curtains down anyway, I decided it would be a good time to wash them. I don't launder my curtains very often because they were cheap, so they're pretty flimsy and tend to fall apart even on the gentle cycle. Unfortunately, this was the last wash they could withstand.

My windows have been naked for the past couple of months because I couldn't decide what I wanted to do with them. I knew I didn't want to spend big bucks on flimsy curtains that would just fall apart anyway, so I had pretty much decided I was going to have to make them myself. Which means measuring. And selecting fabric. And cutting. And sewing. Ugh. That's work.

I have always admired The Nester's window mistreatments, but never really had the occasion to use them until this point. I think this is the perfect opportunity to mistreat my windows. I have nothing to lose. My windows are naked. Anything is better than bare windows. I am also such a perfectionist that I could not imagine using glue instead of sewing! In this case, though, I'm going to try to improvise. I probably will go ahead and hem the edges of my fabric so that I can wash my mistreatments without fraying, but I don't plan on lining them or worrying too much about measurements.

The Nester says that you should always use fabric you love. However, I decided that I was going to start with extra cheap fabric for this project, whether I love it or not, because who knows if this will work. I found some decent fabric at fabric.com for $1.95 per yard, which I deemed reasonable. I also need to find some ring clips and a nice looking curtain rod for my living room curtains because I am tired of the boring panels there.

I can't wait for my supplies to arrive! I'll keep you posted on the progress of the project.

1 comments:

Screwed Up Texan said...

Hey make me some curtains while your at it! All my windows upstairs are nailed and/or stapled to the wall.