BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, February 8, 2010

Pop's & Oklahoma City Museum of Art

This weekend Blondie and I had a “surprise date,” which means he planned everything and didn’t tell me what we were doing. We went to Pop’s for lunch, which is a cool restaurant/gas station/tourist trap on Route 66 in Arcadia, then we visited the Oklahoma City Museum of Art after lunch.

We enjoyed lunch at Pop's. Pop's is located in a very architectually unique building along Route 66 near Lake Arcadia. They have a giant soda selection, along with very good fountain drinks and tasty burgers. Blondie and I have been trying to avoid drinking pop for a little while now, so when he mentioned that the place where we were going had very good pop, I kind of figured out where we were headed.

We beat the Saturday lunch crowd and had a very enjoyable experience. I ordered a regular cheeseburger and a Dr. Pepper and Blondie had a big, sloppy double onion burger with a Coke and a chocolate shake. I really liked their pickles, which were served next to the burger and not on it. Blondie is allergic to pickles, so he gave me his, which was an excellent bonus. The burgers were served with mayonnaise, but Blondie added mustard, ketchup, and barbecue sauce to his, which made it extra sloppy. He had to eat it with a knife and fork.

After lunch we visited the Oklahoma City Museum of Art, which has a lovely glass exhibit by Dale Chihuly and a temporary contemporary art exhibit by Jason Peters. One part of the Jason Peters exhibit is a sculptural installation in a very dark room. At first I wasn't quite sure whether the darkened doorway was actually part of the exhibit, and I certainly didn't want to enter a room that was off limits...and potentially scary! We (I) decided not to enter. However, as we were leaving that part of the museum, we found the doorway where you exit the dark exhibit. It was equally dark, so the musuem worker lurking in the shadows caught me by surprise. I even screamed a little. He assured us that it was ok to enter, and we did. It turned out to be pretty cool, but I was a little nervous.

I really enjoyed our surprise date. Blondie and I always have fun, but this day was especially nice and I appreciated all of the thought that he put into the activities!

0 comments: