BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, March 19, 2010

Spring Break

This spring break I accomplished a lot! University employees get two days off during spring break and I made the most of my vacation. I had an action packed and fun filled long weekend of visiting with friends, cleaning the house, and tackling home improvement projects.

On Friday evening I invited my friend Carina's family and Blondie over for my improvised variation of Mary's 7-Can Taco Soup for dinner. Mary uses ground beef and beef broth, but I was trying to make this diet friendly, so I used shredded chicken and chicken broth instead. I also didn't have any green chiles, but I did have pinto beans with jalapenos, so I figured that balanced out. My soup turned out to be extremely spicy, so we added lots of shredded cheese and sour cream to mellow the flavor a bit. I also made some spicy cheese dip and Carina brought some corn bread, fresh avocado, and pico de gallo.

After dinner we went to Carina's house and enjoyed several episodes of The Big Bang Theory, my favorite show, which Art and Carina had never seen. Then they introduced Blondie and me to The IT Crowd, which seems to have similar themes and painfully reminds us of people we actually know...or actually are.

On Saturday I did some spring cleaning. I had noticed that my glasses and silverware weren't quite as sparkling as they once were, so I decided to give them a good cleaning. I soaked all of my crystal and silver (glass and stainless steel) in a hot water and vinegar solution and then scrubbed them until they glistened. It was very rewarding for the neat freak in me.

Saturday was such a beautiful day that we thought it would be the perfect opportunity to introduce my dog, Roscoe to Blondie's puppy, Penny. However, my lawn had just been sprayed for weeds, which is supposed to be safe for pets, but we didn't want to take the risk of exposing the puppy the poison. We decided to take both dogs to my parents' farm to play. They had a great time. Here is a picture of Penny frolicking in the grass. Isn't she cute? She is named Penny because of the copper bands on her legs.



Blondie, Julie, C. and I had a cookout on Saturday evening. We had a campfire by a creek and roasted hot dogs and made s'mores. Blondie's parents even joined us. It was a very still and clear night, which is perfect for a campfire.

On Sunday I went to church as usual, then that afternoon I finally finished sewing my living room curtains. Check back for a complete curtain post on Monday! They look great. And even if they didn't, I would pretend they did because after that experience, I don't ever want to make curtains again!

My brother-in-law C. is a volunteer firefighter and he and the other firefighters get together occasionally to play basketball in the evenings. He has invited Blondie to participate on occasion and they always have a great time. The rule is that you have to come in pairs so there is an even number of players...and that there are enough players. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't. They played this Sunday, and this time Blondie invited his cousin and brother-in-law to come along. They had 8 guys this time, which C. says is the perfect number for a pick-up game.

On Monday I did some more spring cleaning. I did a ton of laundry, dusted, swept, vacuumed, cleaned ceiling fans, washed windows, and lots of other little chores. After lunch, Blondie and I hung my new curtains. That was an ordeal all by itself!

Blondie wasn't feeling well at all on Tuesday, so he went to the doctor in the morning and came home with an antibiotic and a bruise from the steriod shot he received. That steriod shot perked him right up, though, and he was in the mood to clean. He and I spend the afternoon and evening cleaning his room and purging his closet of things that probably never should have been there in the first place. You should have seen some of the ties: Winnie the Pooh, basset hounds, lions, basketballs (I at least understand that one), Garfield, music, flames, dragons, and all around ugly. I couldn't get him to part with one awful geometric tie. He said that he got lots of compliments on it when he wore it to the math convention. No doubt.

I didn't want to get out of bed on Wednesday morning. I was really in the mood to sleep in, but I went back to work and all was quiet at the office. Spring break is a good time to get lots of work done because people think the whole university is closed all week and no one is there.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

www.craftbits.com/project/neck-tie-school-bag

Check this out....there are lots of projects to utilize old neckties.

Mom said...

Penny is so cute! You'll have to bring her back when I'm home

Carina said...

Well, the soup was wonderful, so you can just tell Mary that. I wish we had The IT crowd on disc, so you could actually see it. Tell Blondie to netflix it.

Oh, and Blondie gave Zaya his Garfield necktie on Wed. night at practice. So, one man's trash...well, yeah.

Glad you got so much done. Next time when y'all are in the cleaning mood, give me a call!