BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Edible Play-Doh

So I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of this cake decorating thing. Fondant is a lot of fun to use, once you get over the initial hatred toward it for sticking to the counter. It's like playing with Play-Doh, except you get to make it whatever color you want AND you don't get in trouble for eating it. How awesome is that?



This was my first attempt covering a cake with fondant. I used leftover colored buttercream icing to do the first layer, and my colors turned out kind of neat! There is blue between the cake layers, and you can kind of see a thin layer of yellow buttercream beneath the green fondant. You can tell by the sparse decorations that I was extremely frustrated by this point and ready to go home. I think I rolled it out at least three times before I actually got it on the cake.


This was my birthday cake! I'm not really a pastel purple and green kind of person, but I didn't want to waste pretty colors on a cake that was going to turn into a mess. There are even fewer decorations on this one; fondant can be extremely irritating.


Finally one that I actually like! I'm a big fan of swirls, even though they don't show up very well on this cake. I also love my little yellow fondant balls. They make me hungry for buttery popcorn.


Any suggestions for a super awesome color next week?

0 comments: