BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, May 24, 2010

Mirror

Do you remember the mirror I bought back in April? I finally did something with it last weekend. It has been waiting patiently in one of my spare rooms for me to put it to work.

My bedroom doesn't have room for much more than my queen size bed and dresser. I thought a mirror hanging over the dresser might make the room feel larger, so I had been keeping an eye out for the perfect mirror. I had a few requirements: it needed to be about the same length as my dresser, it needed to have a black or bronze frame, and it needed to be cheap!

This mirror met those requirements. It is roughly the same length as the dresser and the frame is really more gold than bronze, but it was, most importantly, cheap! For $40, I'm willing to overlook a slight color discrepancy.

My room looks pretty plain. I have light colored pine furniture and not much on the walls. I keep a tray of trinket boxes on my dresser for different types of jewelry and the lamp is purely functional. The plant was formerly in the living room, but didn't really complement the color scheme anymore when I used fabric with an orange stripe for my curtains. Here is a before picture of my dresser wall.



Before we hung the mirror, we covered the dresser with a blanket so we wouldn't scratch it with our tools or the mirror when we set it down. Blondie helped me with this project and we didn't have a stud finder, but Blondie is pretty clever. He used magnets to locate the metal nails in the studs so we would know where they were. They might be difficult to see here, but they're the four silver dots on the wall.



The mirror had loops on the back and we used picture hanging hooks to hang the mirror. Since the loops were already attached to the mirror frame, there was no flexibility regarding hook placement. My hooks had to be 54" apart. We weren't able to hang the mirror on two studs, but we figured it would be ok if we used an anchor on one side and nailed the hooks to a stud on the other side.

We determined how far from the ceiling we wanted to hang it, marked on the wall where we wanted to place the hooks, then used Blondie's handy-dandy laser level to make sure the marks were level. They were. Blondie did the drilling, I did the nailing, and voila! My mirror is hung! Doesn't it look much nicer this way?


We did have to move the dresser a few inches so that it would be centered under the mirror. I was willing to move the dresser a bit so that at least one end of the mirror could be securely fastened to a stud. I kept picturing one end of my mirror crashing onto my dresser and shattering while I slept. Fortunately, it did not. The first 24 hours are critical, right? Surely if it didn't fall the first night, it won't fall at all.

Check out more Metamorphosis Monday projects here:

4 comments:

GrannySue said...

How great does that look!!! And using magnets, I've never heard that one and that is brilliant. I'm working in my bedroom walls also and now convinced that a mirror, or mirrors is the answer.

Kelsie said...

Lisa,
I love the mirror, and I wanted you to be the first to know that I DID find peanut butter a job! I can't believe I forgot about that! You get an A+++ for prank calls!

Brenda said...

I think Blondie should have his own blog: HOT HUNK HOUSEHOLD HINTS

Lilibeth said...

I love the way a mirror makes a room seem bigger.