BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Nature

The weather in my neck of the woods has been beautiful this week. It is notoriously windy in western Oklahoma (when the wind comes sweeping down the plains), but when the wind is not blowing 30 miles per hour, it can be really pretty. This week I have planted some lovely flowers and a couple of tomatoes.


I bought some cute little seed starter kits that I used to start some herbs, and surprisingly, my seeds grew successfully! They reached 3" tall and I transplanted them in a larger pot outside. So far the wind has not destroyed them.


I also received some cuttings of purple Ajuga and yellow Ranunculus from a co-worker. She gave them to me in little plastic pots and I put them out on my porch overnight. I didn't get around to planting them the next day, and that night they got hailed on! I was out of town that evening and by the time I returned, I just knew they would be dead. I planted them anyway. They still look sickly, but so far they seem to be doing ok. We'll see if they make it through the summer.


Sometimes I like to plant some colorful flowers in front of the bushes in my south flower bed. This year I planted yellow Marigolds and purple Lobelia. The soil in that flower bed is just awful. It's dense, hard clay that tends to suffocate anything planted in it. I hope my tender little flowers survive!


I hope I will be able to take some pictures this weekend and post them here for you to see!

0 comments: