Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Flaming Hula Hoop and Red Dirt Rangers

My weekend's excitement didn't stop with the wedding. My Memorial Day weekend was packed!

I have been begging C to take me on an adventure for at least two months. It seems like our weekends always get scheduled with things that we have to do instead of things we want to do. We finally got a free Sunday afternoon this weekend. There is a quaint little lakeside town about an hour away that has lots of fun festivals throughout the summer. Last weekend they they had a Red Dirt ball, with free entertainment.

This is a fun little place even when there isn't scheduled entertainment, so we decided to take a little road trip. We had supper at a wonderful restaurant that we had gone to with Lisa and Blondie last summer. It was just as good this time. We think it is in an old train station, so the building is very interesting, and the food is great!

We also wandered along the little stream that runs through town. The best part was the little group of baby geese that were paddling along. I wanted to load them up in the car and introduce them to my kitty babies, but that didn't seem like such a good plan.
We also came across this log that someone had (legally?) carved a face into. It was pretty nifty. 9:00 finally came around, so we decided it was time to find our way to the stage and set up our lawn chairs to watch the music. Near the stage was a lady selling homemade hula hoops that were pretty fancy. Once it was dark she did a flaming hula hoop show (the fiery part didn't touch her, it was on sticks that protruded off the hoop). It was pretty neat, until her hula hoop broke and went flying towards the crowd. Fortunately, it flew in the one direction no one was sitting. She and her husband quickly stomped out the little fires and put up the hula hoop. It was the most exciting part of the night.
Oh yeah, there was music, too. The Red Dirt Rangers finally started playing after a loooong sound check. Their music was pretty good, but about 20 minutes into it some cold, sprinky rain started to fall and I wasn't interested enough in them to watch them play in the rain. We loaded up our chairs and headed home. It was a fun night, even if we spent more time wandering around the stream than we did listening to music.


Lilibeth said...

The stream sounds like particular fun to me too. In fact right now--in the moonlight--it sounds better than what I'm doing, which is cleaning my bedroom. sigh.(oh and taking a few breaks throughout the day to check my blog lines)