BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, July 30, 2010

Necklaces, Before and After

I have been searching for many months for just the right thing to organize and display all of my necklaces. I had been storing them in a large box on the top shelf of my closet in the boxes they came in. That technically works, but it's not a very good practical storage system. If I wanted to wear a necklace, I had to drag the box off the top shelf and dig through it until I found the box that held the necklace I wanted. That doesn't work very well when I only allow myself 15 minutes to get ready for work. If I'm going to accessorize, I need said accessories to be readily accessible. Another issue is returning necklaces to where they belong. I have to drag the big box out again.

I thought it would be really nice to have some kind of decorative hooks hanging somewhere near my mirror where I could just let my necklaces hang out until I needed one. In the morning, I could just grab one that goes with my outfit and then conveniently throw it back on its hook in the evening. Unfortunately, I never found such an item. I've been looking, but all of the hooks I've found have been for things like belts or coats. Nothing delicate and pretty for jewelry. I got lucky on Tuesday, though! I found a handy little shelf with hooks hanging from it at Marshall's for $29.99.

In this corner of my bedroom, there used to be a big ol' pile of nothing. That suited me just fine, but Blondie insists that he needs something to put his alarm clock on. Apparently the floor isn't an acceptable location for his timepiece. In a valiant attempt to make room for Blondie in my home, I moved this bookcase from the spare room to the bedroom. Now Blondie will have a place for his clock and I will have my college textbooks at arm's reach.


Above the bookcase was really the only place in the room where my bargain shelf would fit, so that is where it went. I think it works out pretty well for hanging my necklaces.


Look at how the scrollwork at the top of the shelf kind of matches the headboard.


Here's a closeup shot of my jewelry:


Notice the red and black beads on the far left? That's three different necklaces, all made by my creative cousin Ronna. I purchased one myself, Ronna gave me one, and my Granny gave me one for Christmas last year. Apparently my relatives are well aware of my affinity for red and black beads! The next hook holds my fake black/gray/silver pearls, which I love! I have a real pearl pendant and earrings that match these beads exactly and I wear the real earrings and fake necklace together all the time. On the middle hook you can see the wooden acorn necklace I won from Deer Lola on Gussy's blog. My longer necklaces are hanging on the next hook. The colored beads came from Hemingway & Co., one of my favorite local boutiques. I went to visit Julie at work one day and she was wearing this darling necklace. I asked her where she got it and she told me. We went down to the store right away and asked Jenny if she had any left and I got the last one! I purchased the turquoise beads at an arts and crafts fair a couple years ago and the silver turquoise necklace was a gift from Blondie's mother, who bought it from her good friend who makes jewelry.

You can see my bracelets hanging on the hooks below the the top shelf and my earrings hanging from the middle shelf. The ones on the far right are also from Hemingway & Co. They were on sale for $1, so I couldn't pass them up. I thought I would get my money's worth if I wore them even once, and they have turned out to be a favorite.

I haven't had the nerve to display any of my fine jewelry here. I still have those pieces safely tucked away in their boxes from the store. It seems like a bad idea to hang valuable pieces where they could get tangled and scratched, so I'll still have to put some thought into it on the days when I want to wear my pearls or other expensive pieces.

Now, someone tell me what to put on the little shelves!

See other room transformations here:



 
And more organizing projects here:
 
Organize and Decorate Everything

5 comments:

Tara said...

You can put sunglasses on one shelf I know I always have atleast 4 pair because I but the cheap ones so it's okay if they get broken. On the top shelf you could put some delicate vases with flowers.

Julie K. said...

Perfume! Or you could put small earrings in your Tiffany boxes.

Patti said...

How about some photos? I love this shelf and this is a great way to display your jewelry - well done

Leanne said...

What a perfect way to display your necklaces. I'm hosting We're ORganized Wednesday and would love for you to join the party. There's a giveaway too. Hope to see you there

Leanne said...

I never would have thought of using this for jewelry. It looks great. THanks for joining We're Organized Wednesday. Hope to see you at the next party. You're entered in the giveaway.