BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Shopping Carts

Does it annoy you when shoppers abandon their carts in the parking lot after loading their purchases into their cars? It is one of my biggest pet peeves. I find it to be incredibly lazy, rude, and inconsiderate. I get especially peeved when I see someone push their cart out of the way, look around to make sure no one saw, then walk away. If you wouldn't do it when you know someone is watching, then you shouldn't do it at all!

If I see an abandoned cart in the parking lot when I arrive, I usually take it into the store with me. If I see one in the parking lot on my way out, I push it to the nearest cart corral. It’s not that hard! I get very frustrated by people who refuse to take responsibility simply because no one is holding them accountable.

My frustration about the shopping cart issue is the main reason for my love of Aldi. This company focuses on providing high quality products at low prices to their customers. They do this by streamlining their processes and reducing costs, which they pass on to consumers. Their inventory is displayed on pallets in the stores, so they can easily rearrange displays and don't have to invest in expensive shelving. They don't accept credit cards, so they don't have to cover credit card fees in their overhead. You bring your own bags and bag your own groceries to reduce overhead, which helps keep prices low. You see very few employees in the stores because they don't need extra staff to round up wayward carts, bag groceries, and stock shelves.

My favorite feature, though, is their "cart rental system." Their carts are all linked together outside the store. Before you go in, you insert a quarter to release your cart, and when you finish using it, you reconnect the chain and your quarter pops back out. I love this system! You never see abandoned carts in Aldi's parking lots. If people have invested in something, they take care of it. Unfortunately, I think that is a value many people have forgotten.

4 comments:

Carina said...

Abandoned shopping carts are also one of my pet peeves. It drives me crazy!

I've never been to Aldi. Maybe next time I get to the city...

Mom said...

I thought you were going to write about the shopping carts at some stores that make a clunking sound when you push them. You can't tell that they're going to be noisy till you're already inside and off the tile floor.

Lilibeth said...

I especially hate abandoned shopping carts that hide sail past my car just as I want to back out. But hey, it's not the fault of the poor little cart. I know. So I've done my share of putting them away.

Mary at Deep South Dish said...

This is a pet peeve of mine too. I usually try to park fairly close to the cart return because it is so hot here, I crank the car and turn on the a/c and put the perishable stuff in the front passenger seat under the air. The only time I haven't returned a cart was if it started pouring rain on me without an umbrella.

We don't have an Aldi around here, but that's interesting that people will return a cart for a quarter. I would think they'd still be lazy for that little amount of money, but it's psychology I suppose. Interesting.