BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, October 25, 2010

In Sickness and In Health

Blondie and I just returned from our honeymoon yesterday afternoon. We decided to get married the weekend before fall break so we could have the long fall break weekend for a little trip. Since we had gone to California in June and Blondie doesn't get many days off during the school year, we decided to go to Tulsa for the weekend. It's not too far away, so we didn't spend a large chunk of our vacation time on the road and it's just out-of-the-way enough that neither of us had ever really been there. We had been through there many times, but it had never been a destination.

We left on Wednesday afternoon and made it to Tulsa in time for dinner at McNellie's. They have $3 burgers on Wednesday night, so I took advantage of the special deal. Blondie had the Landlord's Cottage Pie, their version of Shepherd's Pie. The food there was good and the atmosphere was fun.

After we returned to our hotel, I started feeling a migraine coming on (yes, it was a legitimate headache...I wasn't trying to get out of anything), so we went to a nearby Walgreen's to get some painkillers. While we were shopping for pills, there was a pharmacist standing nearby, so we asked her what she recommended. She suggested that I try BC Powder mixed with a glass of Coke. I hate Coke, but she said Dr. Pepper would be fine too. I wanted to see how the BC Powder worked without additional caffeine, so I just mixed it with tap water. This resulted in a grainy texture which was difficult to drink. Blondie made me drink the whole thing...and soon regretted it.

I don't throw up. I can count on one hand the throwing up incidents in my life. Well. Maybe two hands now. I won't go into detail; I'll just say that I threw up. On my honeymoon. In a hotel room. And Blondie is a good husband.

Thursday was better. We went to eat breakfast at the Blue Dome Diner and enjoyed a walking tour of the historical downtown buildings. We had planned to eat dinner at Elote because the Elote Luchador Wrestling Federation competes there on Thursday evenings. We thought it would be a fun experience to see the competition, but we had just missed the end of the season. Since there would be no wrestling that evening, we just ate lunch there instead. That was the best food of our entire trip. We had white queso with salsa and chips, I had a chicken burrito, and Blondie had a beef burrito. Everything in their food is fresh and organic, so the mood of the restaurant is unlike any Mexican restaurant we had ever been to--I'm pretty sure there's no lard used there. While we were downtown on Thursday we also enjoyed some interesting shops and wished we could have tried more of the restaurants.

On Friday we toured the historic Philbrook Museum of Art. This museum was formerly the private residence of oil baron Waite Phillips and his family, but was later donated to the City of Tulsa. My favorite part of the museum was the garden, where there were both formal and informal areas. While we were there I ran into an old friend from college, who I hadn't seen in at least six years. After visiting the museum, we enjoyed a picnic lunch at Woodward Park and finished just before it rained. Later that evening we ate dinner at Full Moon Cafe, where the food is average, but the entertainment is excellent. On Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings they have a "Dueling Piano" show. We thought the show started at 8:00, so we got there around 7:45 for dinner. After we looked at the menu, though, we found out that the show didn't start until 9:00. We ate slowly and ordered dessert. The wait was worth it. The show was a lot of fun!

We visited the Gilcrease Museum on Saturday. It started as Thomas Gilcrease's personal collection of American art and artifacts and has grown to more than 10,000 works, the largest collection of western American art ever assembled. That evening we ate dinner at Kilkenny's, another Irish pub. We were glad we went to McNellie's first because this place was even better. The atmosphere was loud, but not obnoxious and the food was excellent. Since it is October, they had a special Oktoberfest menu, so we had German cuisine instead of Irish. Blondie had a pork shank stew and I had beef goulash. Both were interesting and different. We agreed that we liked both dishes even though they were not what we expected and not how we would have prepared them.

Things started going downhill on Saturday night. Poor Blondie started feeling puny and ended up throwing up a few times throughout the night. He wasn't feeling any better on Sunday, and I'm sure the car ride home didn't help. I got pretty good at stopping quickly on the Interstate. When we got home he took some Phenergan that he had from a previous trip to the ER for nausea. He drank Gatorade and ate Jell-O all afternoon and was feeling better until the Phenergan started wearing off. He didn't go to school today, and I hope he is feeling better by the time I get home. I left him some more Jell-O and chicken noodle soup. If that doesn't make him feel better, I'm out of tricks.

1 comments:

Carina said...

Well...at least it was the last night that he was sick, and not the first. Otherwise you might have had an awesome tour of a Tulsa ER.