BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Always Be Prepared!

I discovered something this weekend: You should always be prepared when camping in cold weather. C. is a big fan of camping. I am a big fan of sleeping indoors and using indoor plumbing. But since I get my way 99% of the time in this regard, I thought I would be nice and go camping with him Friday night. Also, another couple was going with us, and I couldn't let her look cooler than me.

I love a good campfire. Once you have had hot dogs cooked over a fire, you just can't eat them any other way (unless they come from a certain wonderful movie theater). S'mores made with Reese's are also amazing. I recently found out that hot chocolate packets are even better when made with water that has been heated over the fire. We have campfires a lot in the fall. Usually we pack up and go home around midnight. But apparently this weekend was perfect for camping. At least it was according to everyone besides me.

I started to get concerned when we met our friends at their house. They kept loading more and more blankets into their pickup. And she told me about the many layers she brought for sleeping. I started to worry that my sleeping bag from junior high sleepovers might not be warm enough. I hoped that my fuzzy fleece pants at college sweatshirt would supplement my slumber party sleeping bag.

Friday evening was a lot of fun. We had a good time roasting hot dogs and chatting with some of our smarter friends, who didn't want to stay the night. We had a great spot for a campfire. It was by a dry creek, which means a good, flat place with no rocks or sticks for sleeping, and behind a hill, which was an excellent wind block, so there was no cold wind, and the smoke didn't blow directly in our faces.

Eventually it was time to go to "bed." My slumber party sleeping bag completely failed me. And my fuzzy pink pants did nothing to counteract my sleeping bag's failure. About thirty minutes after we went to bed, I put C's cozy stocking cap on underneath my sweatshirt hood. About an hour after that I decided to put on C's not-so-cozy Carhartt jacket over my sweatshirt. About an hour after that I put my Carhartt jacket over my feet. I seriously considered going to the pickup for the rest of the night, but decided it probably wasn't any warmer in there. So I stayed in my sleeping bag and plotted about 75 different ways to torture C as he slept peacefully in his nice, cozy, 30 degree-rated sleeping bag.

The experience wasn't all bad. Our friend made biscuits and gravy for breakfast. It was so yummy. I can't even make gravy on a stove in a kitchen, and hers turned out perfect in a cast iron pan over a fire. I'm actually looking forward to the next campfire, but I made C. promise to get me a real sleeping bag that is made for campouts instead of sleepovers and is rated for the proper temperature before I am willing to sleep outside again. And next time I'm bringing more blankets!

2 comments:

A Reel Lady said...

Camping in November means you should pack lots I feel like! You are such a good sport! I would have refused to go I think!

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

I'm so impressed - I'm pretty sure I would have woken up C after about 30 minutes of not sleeping and insisted he give me his body heat!