BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, December 20, 2010

Please Advise

I don't really like receiving emails with the closing "please advise." I'll advise if I feel like it! You're not the boss of me! Well, unless you are the boss of me. But then, if you were my boss, wouldn't you be advising? My boss would never use that phrase anyway.

Isn't it pretty well understood that if you ask a question in your correspondence, you're requesting my advice? Wrapping it up with a curt command makes it sound like you're trying to maintain the upper hand. It sounds awfully presumptuous of you to demand my advice when you're the one who needs me to help you. It's quite likely that I'll take my sweet time responding to your request if you're not sweet when you ask.

Here's my advice: be nice when you ask for my advice!

0 comments: