BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Science Fiction Christmas

I got my Christmas tree on sale the day after Christmas several years ago. It was cheap and you can tell. I try to compensate by covering it with really awesome ornaments. We have a little bit of everything on our tree, from special ornaments from our childhoods to nerdy action figures. The star at the top of the tree was made by Blondie in Sunday School in 1983. I have ornaments from my alma mater for each year I was in college there. The large glass ball hanging right next to Captain Kirk is a souvenir from our honeymoon--we bought it at the Tulsa Glassblowing Studio.



We have Blondie's and my first ornaments. Blondie's is a cute little mouse and mine is an embroidered teddy bear. You can see where I added my own decorative flair with a red pen.



Each year when Julie and I were growing up, our babysitter gave us a special handmade ornament. She was a very special person. Shirley was more than just a babysitter; she was like a member of our family. Our parents would tell you that Shirley raised us just as much as they did and we were very blessed to have her in our lives. Her ornaments are precious to me. Here are just a few of them.









And this year I have added Blondie's ornaments to the mix. We're having a science fiction Christmas this year, with Darth Vader from Star Wars, the crew from Star Trek, The Original Series, and some characters from Star Trek, The Next Generation. Frodo Baggins and Gandalf the Grey are also on the tree, but they're near the back and I couldn't photograph them.







My novelty ornaments are also on the tree. I love Peanuts and I have several Snoopy ornaments.



And, of course, we have to have the traditional "our first Christmas" ornament. This one was given to us by one of my friends as a wedding gift.



I am participating in Thrifty Decor Chick's Christmas Tree Party. See more festive trees here:

2 comments:

Mary at Deep South Dish said...

Well, I think your tree looks lovely! I also had a very old tree that was well, about as old as my son and he is almost 30! until my MIL gave me one of those 9 foot tall skinnier pre-lit trees a couple years ago (but my old one is still hanging around in the garage - hard to let it go LOL)

Mine is decorated much like yours - very old fashioned mish mash of ornaments from my youth, from my grandma, my mom, many she hand made and a mixture of odd ball ornaments that I've picked up over the years. They all have some kind of meaning behind them - no themed trees here! Although I think they are lovely, I kinda like my old fashioned one better.

Lilibeth said...

Your tree looks a lot like mine--a hodgepodge of memory. The oldest ornament was one Turtle made when he was in the first grade. I also have several "three" sets that we got when the kids were younger. Every year we would add a set of ornaments...but I never thought of Christmas Stars like Star Wars and Star Trek.